Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dexter's first night out of his kennel...

I always feel so bad locking Dexter in his kennel every night. So I decided to try leaving him out for one night and see how he did. I was thinking OK he might pee on the floor but what could he do besides that...? Well i guess a lot! He has never eaten anything. He had never even tried to chew on anything. Except for an occasional tissue. He always seemed content with his toys... I thought we just had a good dog. We blocked him into the dinning room area with an extra couch we have that you will see in picture below. And at about 12:30 Am josh heard him playing with a toy that we did not put in the closed off area... So he got out of bed to find this............. He had a nice little snack of papers and our baseboard. Mind you there was blue tape on the baseboard because we had not finished painting that wall, so he got the tape off and was hungry so he eat the baseboard. We did find the tape across the room but no pieces of wood!!! Oh the middle cushion is missing because he had peed on it so josh took it off to clean it. And he had peed in about three other spots on the tile at least it was not on the carpet... So I think I learned my lesson with feeling so bad... I really thought he might have been ready to try it out for one night but I was wrong. So we will continue to put him in his kennel until he is about a year old and we feel like we could try to trust him again. Oh and he has been extra lovey today.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg!!!!!!

Kelsey Danielle said...

poor dexter... mommy is so mean!! ha ha jk... I hope he doesn't get to sick from eating the wood!!

Breeana said...

Wow!

The Moronta's said...

Holy Cow. Don't you just love them to death still? :) Miss you!

Ashley said...

Oh no! And I thought Cooper's messes were bad! Poor Dex! :)

Alaina said...

Thats funny! Our Great Dane Jax is almost a year and a half and he still can not be trusted out over night. He is pretty good most of the time but over Labor Day weekend one of the neighbors were watching him and didn't get his kennel latched all the way...we came home to find that he had chewed up a couple of things and went pee on the carpet in our room! On Josh's side of the bed of course. They have a shakey relationship and I think he was trying to say something! LOL

Carolyn said...

Man, that bites!!!! (no pun intended) Now I can show this post to Schane when he starts wanting a puppy =). Hold him off for a few months.

Analee said...

Naughty, naughty Dexter. It is amazing what they will do when no one is looking. I am guessing he will be sleeping in his kennel for a very long time, perhaps forever.